Moving In / Moving Out

Whether you are moving into LCA’s service area, or moving out, the form below will help get the process started to transfer any water and/or sewer utility services we provide to the property.

Landlords and tenants should review information on our Landlords / Tenants page before submitting this information.

If you don’t have all the information requested on this form, just submit the required information and ask your Realtor, title company or the other party (buyer or seller) to provide the remaining information to us. LCA will read the water meter on the settlement date to ensure an accurate final bill can be issued to the previous customer and the new customer’s account can be set up.

Note: A one-time New Customer Fee of $15 will be charged to cover the cost of setting up a new account. This will be reflected on the new customer’s first bill.

Contact Information:

Your Name (required):

Phone Number (required):

Your Email (required):

Are you moving into LCA’s service area or moving out? (required):

Property address with LCA water and/or sewer service:

Street (required):

City, State, Zip (required):
, ,

Development Name (if any):

Is this a change of tenant (rental unit) or a property sale? (required)
(NOTE: If this is a rental unit, please review the information on the Landlords / Tenants page for additional requirements.)
Change of TenantProperty Sale

Settlement Date: (required)
(if you do not know, type “unknown” in the field. You must contact LCA as soon as you have this information!)

Who’s Moving In?



Who is handling the property settlement?

Realtor or Title Company:


Where should we send the final water bill?

Street Address:

City, State, Zip:
, ,